Re: Boycott Caller-ID for E-mail

2004-07-01 09:33:25
On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 08:22:36AM -0700, Reggie B. wrote:
| I've been keeping the site (http://boycott-email-caller-id.org)
| up-to-date with respect to the various changes that have taken place in
| the anti-spam protocol arena, but I was wondering:
|
|  - is the anti-GPL, non-transferrable license still going to apply to
| the Caller-ID/SPF merged protocol?
|  - if so, does Microsoft really have any patents on this?
|  - if so, are they valid, considering that most of the ideas were
| discussed by SPF in the open?
|
| I'd like to keep updating my site with the latest patent/license info.

I've been working with a number of OS lawyer folks who have
generously donated their time and expertise to review the
license.  We are still working to reach consensus on just
what is acceptable and what is not; however, on the
Microsoft side, George Webb has shown a great willingness to
make things palatable for the open community.

Of course, the devil is in the details.  I hope to be able
to provide a better summary of what's going on.

I think we just need to do a conference call with Microsoft
and reach some agreement on where we want to go with all
this.

| I hope that the nasty license has been removed so that I can recommend
| people use the new, merged technology.

Patent licenses are nasty ... we hates them, yes we do.