False positives

2004-07-02 18:24:42
I;ve now had two false positives with SPF. One was ticketmaster.com and the other in.roving.com.

In the ticketmaster.com case, it appeared that they had the number of subnet bits wrong on one of their ip4: entries.

This leads me to think that it might be useful to have an spf tester service that would receive email, and would discard PASS messages. All other statuses would be notified to an administrator. I.e. an administrator could sign up for this service, and be given an email address (that is tied to them). The administrator would then add this email address into their standard mailing list(s), and would be notified if messages were being denied.

I suspect that most organizations just pitch error responses when they blast out their email lists, so they will not catch their own SPF record errors.

Philip

--
Philip Gladstone
* Check out the live pondcam at http://pond.gladstonefamily.net