SenderID checking of PRA falling back to Mail-From

2004-07-07 16:45:21
During the creation of SenderID, we agreed to the following:

  *** PRE DEADLINE

  - test PRA only

  *** AFTER DEADLINE

  - responsible MTAs should have SUBMITTER
  - test SUBMITTER if present
  - fall back to MAIL FROM if not present

I know that there are a lot of people in the SPF community
who do not believe that PRA is as technically sound as
Mail-From, but I have had discussions with Sendmail,
IronPort, SpamAssassin, and others, in which they have
indicated that the market really cares about PRA even
considering the tradeoffs required for PRA to work.  So, if
you want to put it that way, then the concession is
political.

A quick reminder:

  - if SUBMITTER is present, it MUST return a PASS result.
  - the domain can be tested against a reputation system.
  - if the reputation system doesn't like the domain,
    rejection will prevent bounces.

After the deadline arrives, the goals of SPF Classic are
largely achieved.

People who care about bandwidth being wasted, and really
want to do rejection before DATA, can push for the deadline
to be made sooner.

I'm putting this to the list because the deadline for draft
submissions is drawing very near.