Re: Re: Unified SPF works in progress now in alpha

2004-07-10 08:28:40
On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 07:46:40PM -0500, Seth Goodman wrote:

| As far as I can see, these reputation systems are simply pipe dreams.
| They may come about and they may not.  Right now, without the reputation
| systems, we are considering building a mechanism into SPF that allows a
| malicious party to override the published policy of the netblock owner.
| I respectfully suggest that is a poor idea.

actually, if public reputation services never appear, the
only overrides the algorithm will support are locally
hardcoded whitelists --- and the analogy with ssh is
appropriate.  note the AND requirement for a positive
result:

from the unified doc:

   For each tested identity, a result is obtained by running the
   appropriate SPF test, and possibly also a reputation test:

      A positive result is defined as one for which:
            - the SPF test returns Pass,
      AND   - the reputation test returns a positive opinion of
              the domain under test.

      A negative result is defined as one for which:
            - the SPF test returns Fail,
      OR    - the reputation test returns a negative opinion of
              the domain under test.

      A zero result is defined as any which is neither positive
      or negative.  This may be due to the lack of any published
      SPF data, a processing error, or a reputation test that
      yields no information.

      Note that for SPF/PTR and SPF/HELO, a test result of Softfail is
      treated as Fail, and so is grounds for a negative result.

   A positive result from any identity overrides a negative result
   from any other identity.

   If, during evaluation, a positive result is obtained, a mail receiver
   MAY choose to dispense with further checks and accept the mail.

   If, during evaluation, a negative result is obtained,
   a mail receiver MUST continue to test the other identities
   it has chosen to test in search of a positive result.