Re: ITU "spam" summit concludes in Geneva

2004-07-12 10:56:41
On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 10:51:45AM -0700, Mark C. Langston wrote:

| ...which raises an interesting question in my mind:  Are authentication
| systems necessary, or would reputation systems suffice?  I don't believe
| I've seen an argument for an authentication system being able to do more
| than a reputation system vis a vis spam prevention.  At the end of the
| day, they both say "this identity is or is not trustworthy".  One is
| based on credentials (and possibly money), whereas the other is based on
| observed behavior.

What you describe (credentials and money) is accreditation.

I think reputation will get you 90% of the way, and most
good people will show up in a reputation system.  People who
don't (eg. new domains) will need accreditation to get them
started.

See
http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com/200406/1268.html