SPF is not usable as legal measure against spammers. DomainKeys are probably yes. Routers hacked by spammers scenario.

2004-07-13 14:19:07
SPF is not usable as legal measure against spammers. DomainKeys are probably
yes. Routers hacked by spammers scenario.

 Currently SPF is technical-only measure against forgery.

Quoting Chris Drake:

  SPF IS   NOT   AN ANTISPAM TECHNOLOGY

  NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT.

I agree with him. It's not possible to use SPF against biggest problem of
Internet - spam.

Everybody who need spam protection - adopt DomainKeys.

Even if SPF will be installed on 100% of MTAs - this will not give us a
legal protection against root of spam problem - spammers people and
companies.

No one spammer can be sued to recover damages.

It's not possible to prove in court that Spam was ordinates/requested
from/by domain owner.

Sender IP are indirect proof that cannot be used in court.

Even more - currently MTAs do not log any information about content of
emails send,

only From/To/Date/delivery status. Server logs can not be used too.

It's not possible to determine if entire content of email provided is
original or only headers parts.

This makes it impossible to use 1.000.000's of emails as an evidences in
court.

But there are a lot of electronic signature legislations worldwide.

You will be able to prove that entire content of email was signed by valid
company _private_ key.

Content of email cannot be altered while preserve headers.

Example:

www.mygreatingcards.com send a lot of valid greeting cards. But current
finance conditions of my company are weak.

I would like to earn a few bucks by sending spam to select prescreened
members.

It's will be impossible for those members to prove that I've spammed them.

No evidences other that emails headers, source IP and mail-from.

My lawyers will be able to protect me because they will show that email
message was possibly altered in transit and my company is not responsible
for spam message.

Your opinion ?

BTW, This kind of hacked ISP mail servers scenario allows injecting spam
text inside valid emails. And you will be unable to block this using any
SPAM filter/SPF without losses.

No way to use SPF as authentication mechanism.

Spammers can hack a few ISP servers, routers or even network links and
inject message text like this inside legit emails:

Like a