Re: SPF TXT to English?

2004-07-15 02:48:17
On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 11:16:15PM -0400, Paul Bissex wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 15:35:07 -0400, Meng Weng Wong
<mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 09:29:39AM -0400, Paul Bissex wrote:
| Apologies if this is somewhere obvious on the SPF site and I missed it
| -- is there code available that parses  SPF records into
| english-language descriptions?

the wizard does this, if you hit 'explain'.  if you can
suggest improvements, i would be very grateful.

Ah, I forgot about the wizard, thanks very much.  That's more or less
what I was looking for. Is the wizard source available?

I don't have any suggestions on the explanations at the moment. They
seem quite readable and complete to me.

I do have another wizard suggestion though: check whether the provided
domain already has an SPF record, and if so explain that record in
English (and pre-set the relevant fields in the form as well, I
suppose).

Actually, this is kind of non trivial. The wizard can only
generate a subset of all possible spf records, so parsing any arbitrary
spf record into the wizard's set of options is difficult.
Besides that, the source is kind of obfuscated by a mixture of html and
perl (it's a mason thingy).

But if you feel comfortable to add this as an option, I think Meng will
hapilly send you the source so you can modify it.

Koen

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.

Send us money!  http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html