Re: SPF and Responsibility

2004-07-21 14:48:00
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Mark Shewmaker wrote:

In my mind there's simply little point to a standard in which a sender
can only either make negative claims of legitimacy or useless claims of
legitimacy.

So, do you think the spec and accompanying documentation *should* say
what you think it *does* say?

I think that publishing an SPF record should be like signing a statement
at the end of a form that says, "everything on this form is true and correct to
the best of my knowledge".

When you designate a server as '+', you are saying, "to the best of my
knowledge and ability, this server will never send forged email from this
domain."

When you designate a server as '-', you are saying, "to the best of my
knowledge and ability, this server will never send legitimate email
from this domain."

If you get hacked or make a mistake, then any prosecution should have to
show that you *knowingly* lied about hackedrelay.bigcompany.com,
(e.g. you are the sysadmin for bigcompany and a spammer paid you to give them
a backdoor.)

Repeated mistakes should result in a dismal reputation (e.g. Microsoft),
not legal liability.

What do I think the spec *does* say?  I did not even think about any
legal aspect.  I thought that by publishing and SPF record, I was promising
that it was "true to the best of my knowledge".