RE: Is SPF all that useful?

2004-07-27 13:52:53
[Thomas Harold]
We've also seen many broken MTAs deliver e-mail to
the backup MX server rather then adhering to the
priority order in our MX records.
Even if the primary mail server is up, responding,
and not under load.

Those are most likely spammers and viruses, using your backup MTA on
purpose. Their theory, I suppose, is that a lot of sites don't have as
much anti-spam and anti-virus protection on their backup MTAs as they do
on their primary MTAs. (Many people using commercial AV software try to
avoid buying two licenses of their mail AV product, for example.)

Right now, a received header that contains my backup MTA carries a spam
probability of 0.97 according to SpamBayes. So almost EVERYTHING I
receive over my backup MTAs is spam or virus-generated.

--
Ryan Malayter
Bank Administration Institute