Re: Overly broad ip range in spf - think like a spammer

2004-07-28 07:16:14
On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 rogerk(_at_)queernet(_dot_)org wrote:

Quoting Daniel Taylor <dtaylor(_at_)vocalabs(_dot_)com>:
I have users that need to be able to access our network
from all over. With SMTP AUTH we all get along just fine
thankyouverymuch.

Not with SMTP submission ports blocked or intercepted by the connectivity
provider.

SMTP submission port is arbitrary.  If the "connectivity provider" blocks
*all* outgoing TCP ports, what exactly are you paying them for?

Pick a port that they *don't* block, and have your users do SMTP AUTH.
Shoot, you can do SMTP AUTH over port 80 if required.

BTW, blocking outgoing tcp 25 is common, but I've never heard of an ISP
blocking 587.  What would be the point?

I could imagine a service that provides access to web proxies, imap servers,
and smtp servers, but doesn't actually give you any access to the internet.
Calling such a service a "connectivity provider" is an exercise in
Orwellian speech.