Re: Overly broad ip range in spf - think like a spammer

2004-07-28 09:51:11
rogerk(_at_)queernet(_dot_)org writes:

Quoting Lloyd Zusman <ljz(_at_)asfast(_dot_)com>:
Well, of course that hypothetical case is possible.  But it is extremely
unlikely that each and every connectivity provider would do this.

All it takes to be important to me is one major one, one for a client
for whom it's inconvenient to change, or one for a client who lives in
a monopolistic area so they have no choice.

For the same competitive, profit-motive-driven reasons that some
providers would have for locking in their customers by blocking most
ports, other conectivity providers would want make money offering their
customers a way to do SMTP AUTH to other SMTP servers via a port like
587.  These other providers would take business away from the more
restrictive providers by offering a service for which there will
definitely be a demand.

As a non-profit, it's not my job or desire to enhance the competitive
position of any profit-making entity over any other.  A good deal of
my work is about freeing people from the pressures of monopoly
providers and free-market priorities alike.

My hypothetical, dreamed-up scenario is no less likely than your own
dreamed-up scenario about a world where all connectivity providers
prevent this kind of access.

Choice is not always available.  Plus it's a pain in the ass.  "Find another
ISP" is never an acceptable answer.

In fact, if it ever comes to pass that a large number of connectivity
providers try to lock their customers in like that, I myself will start
a service which allows SMTP AUTH to be passed through to other services.
I'll probably get rich.

...After which we will put up a donation-supported free one.

Good.  You have now answered your own objection.  When the greedy,
profit-driven people try to lock their customers in by preventing SMTP
AUTH access to other services, you and others will provide free,
donation-supported alternative access for those who still wish to have
it.

Problem solved.

And I'd much prefer to donate to your service (time and money) than to
try to get rich offering the option I mentioned above.  Let me know
when you are ready for me and others to come and help you.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz(_at_)asfast(_dot_)com