Re: Overly broad ip range in spf - think like a spammer

2004-07-28 11:51:51

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Brodbeck" <gull(_at_)gull(_dot_)us>
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 2:43 PM
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Overly broad ip range in spf - think like a
spammer

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:23:00 -0400, Thomas Harold wrote
For the company that I work for, we're publishing extremely
restrictive SPF records with a "-all" on the end.

The important thing here is that it's YOUR CHOICE.  The whole point of SPF
is
that sending domains can pick a policy that works for them.  I think
that's
getting lost in this discussion about whether certain policies should or
shouldn't be allowed.
The domain owner has their CHOICE of spf records. I was just pointing out
the perils of being over broad in defining the ip range which essentially
defeats the purpose of spf. Many people send email from their client with a
hotmail or yahoo return address. Should hotmail and yahooo open the whole ip
space in their spf records. If they do then spf will do little to stop spam.

Send us money!  http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html