RE: Error 0x80070103 - 0x0 while excluding recipients from a message rejection

2004-07-28 21:08:36
regarding http://www.michaelbrumm.com/smtpspffilter.html
postmaster(_at_)planetjupiter(_dot_)com wrote:
Please help.  I am getting this error from time to time and i am not
able to find any information related to it . Can any one please advise
as to what it means and what i need to do about it if anything.

Source: SMTP SPF Filter
Catagory: None
Event ID: 31080

Error 0x80070103 - 0x0 while excluding recipients from a message rejection

First, I can tell you that you are not losing any email because of this. The
filter will automatically just ignore and allow messages without doing anything
to them when fatal (non-SPF policy result) errors occur.

This is a rather perplexing error (0x80070103 = ERROR_NO_MORE_ITEMS). It would
seem to indicate that "No more data is available" during the process of
retrieving the email addresses of the recipients of the message. However, I
retrieve the recipient count (number of recipients) before stepping through the
recipients to avoid going out of bounds... So I'm guessing that somehow the
"count" I'm being given is incorrect. Or maybe some of the recipients are not
SMTP email addresses (perhaps a spammer munging headers to sneak by)?

Are there any other "SMTP SPF Filter" events logged immediately before this
event? Can you get a copy of the entire message that was transferred at that
time (note that it will not have the "Recieved-SPF" header prepended)?

If you can provide the above, I could perhaps duplicate and debug the problem.

Thanks,
Michael R. Brumm