Re: mail administrator certification example

2004-07-30 08:33:45
On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, John Keown wrote:

What I am saying is xxx.yyy.zzz.1/24 does not conform to ip4 address space
and has no meaning. Now if we ant to change the rules then we need to do
that.

I beg to differ.  It has an obvious meaning: it is the same as
xxx.yyy.zzz.0/24 or for that matter xxx.yyy.zzz.254/24.  In general,
all bits not in the netmask should be ignored (logically AND the IP with
the NETMASK).  While pedantic rejection of such constructs might be useful for
a user interface (say a web page helping people set up SPF records), it has no
place in programmatically making use of SPF records.