Re: mail administrator certification example

2004-07-30 08:33:55
John Keown wrote:

That would violate ip address notation and if spf accepts your example then
spf NEEDS to be fixed before it one has to re-write all routing table and
routers on the internet.

What I am saying is xxx.yyy.zzz.1/24 does not conform to ip4 address space
and has no meaning. Now if we ant to change the rules then we need to do
that.

Then it's time to fix CIDR conventions to make them more useful. Having 1.2.3.4/28 or foo.bar.com/28 be legal and understood as "the /28 that includes foo.bar.com" or "the /28 that includes 1.2.3.4" is very useful (and used to be accepted in Postfix before anal-retentiveness about the need for the left side of the CIDR notation to conform to the bit pattern struck).

The SPF guys got it right. The convention is unwieldy and unnecessarily limited.