Re: inherited SPF record

2004-08-05 01:04:32
On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 03:21:52AM -0400, Jeremy Kister wrote:
I'm wondering if implementations of SPF parsers should traverse up the tree
until it finds a SPF record.  Convincing all domain owners to add an SPF
record to each of their domains is quite a task, but asking each domain
owner to add a SPF record to each host in each domain is futile.

one disadvantage I see is that if we fall through all the way to com (or any
other top level domain), we'd be at the mercy of a possibly shady party.  On
the other hand, this could motivate domain owners to set up their own SPF
records.

You've answered your question yourself. If you choose to not choose spf,
your mechanism could force people into having to adapt to spf records
higher up. It should rather be the case that by doing nothing (ie not
publishing spf), nothing changes for you.

Also, what about an isp fictiveisp.com which has
user021398712.fictiveisp.com domains. Obviously, fictiveisp.com will
want to publish spf for fictiveisp.com that says they want to send mail
only from their outgoing mail servers. But then
user984354.fictiveisp.com that does not publish spf, shares the same spf
record, whereas they are not really related. Anyway, this was discussed
in length, so perhaps you could check the archives.. You are not the
only one to come up with this, and probably not the last :)

All I can say is: write scripts that handle the administrative loads for
you. Not that difficult to accomplish with perl or any other
contemporary scripting language.

Koen

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.

http://www.InboxEvent.com/?s=d --- Inbox Event Nov 17-19 in Atlanta features
SPF and Sender ID.