Re: question about 'mechanism prefix' softfail and neutral

2004-08-10 08:08:52
Koen Martens wrote:

It all depends.. Usually, fail will mean reject, and everything else means to
let the mail through.

softfail is for testing purposes, for admins that feel uncertain and don't want
to use -all immediatelly. so softfail 'probably' means fail.

neutral is imho useless, it says nothing. it says 'this can either mean its
fail or pass, but we can't say for sure'.. or something like that..

Isn't neutral useful in cases where mail is relayed via a server you don't control and that's also used to relay mail from other domains (that could therefore forge mail from you)? I think pass in such a case would be too strong a committment.
In other words:
pass : all mail that comes through that server for the specified domain is really from it fail : no mail could possibly come through that server for the specified domain softfail: no mail could possibly come through that server for the specified domain but don't reject as it's still a testing phase neutral : mail coming from that server is for the specified domain, but there is still the possibility of a forgery

--
Rene Barbier                    Rene(_dot_)Barbier(_at_)irislink(_dot_)com
IRIS                            http://www.irislink.com/

|  Fight Spam! Join EuroCAUCE: http://www.euro.cauce.org/  |