Re: Suggest New Mechanism Prefix NUMBER to Accelerate SPF Adoption

2004-08-25 15:50:03
From: "Stuart D. Gathman" <stuart(_at_)bmsi(_dot_)com>

No I don't.  I simply stated that I as a receiver have no use for
some "probability forgery" number made up by the sender.  In fact,
no receiver has any use for the number.  Even if you came up with some
way for the sender to count actual forgeries and legit emails (and you
haven't yet), the sender could still be lying.

As a non-mathematican I can only say that I think this whole idea of a
"probablility record"  is rubbish, because it allows me to "score" my own
spf records, but not to control how that score is interpreted by recipients.
Conversely - I will see other peoples "score" on their records and wonder
what they  _really_  mean?  This concept introduces too many variables for a
world-wide, functioning system.  I'll stick with pre-data verification of
non/forgery and then filter in spamassassin - simple, easy to implement,
and - most importantly - it works.  ;-)

Slainte,

JohnP.
johnp(_at_)idimo(_dot_)com