spfv1 and spf2/pra

2004-09-04 06:50:18
I have noticed an interesting "side-affect" of publishing both spfv1 and
spf2/pra text records in my dns. When you do a host -t txt userfriendly.
net you will see the following:

userfriendly.net text "v=spf1 ip4:68.22.33.177/29 ?all"
userfriendly.net text "spf2.0/pra +ip4:68.22.33.177/29 ?all"

however, doing that lookup a few times in a row indicates that the
record i get back first changes, meaning sometimes the spf1 record is
presented first, other times the spf2/pra record is presented first. My
question about this behavior is fairly straight-forward. Wont this break
spfv1-only checking domains? Meaning when a domain receiving email from
userfriendly.net goes to do a lookup, it stands a chance of NOT getting
back the spfv1 record, and thus might fail the check thinking there is
no spfv1 record published.

Is there a good method to correct this within bind9 so that the records
are always presented in the logical order (sfpv1 first then spf2/pra)
due to current implementation? Otherwise the behavior is more akin to
round-robin dns implementations.

Thanks in advance for any advice/ideas
Michael Weiner

http://www.InboxEvent.com/?s=d --- Inbox Event Nov 17-19 in Atlanta features