Debian Announces rejection of Sender-ID

2004-09-05 08:07:50

For those who haven't seen this already,  The Debian Project announced
yesterday:

"The Debian project abides by a social contract to our users that specifies
all software included in the operating system will be Free Software,
meaning that it can be freely redistributed, modified, used, etc. as
defined under the Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG).

The current Microsoft Royalty-Free Sender ID Patent License Agreement
terms are a barrier to any Debian package which wants to implement
Sender ID or include Sender ID support."

Full text available  here:

http://www.imc.org/ietf-mxcomp/mail-archive/msg04260.html

I'm not sure what market share of the linux install base Debian enjoys,
but I know it's pretty big.  All of the last 3 companies I have worked
for have standardized on Debian Linux.  One was an ISP, and the others
were dot.com's involved in content delivery, who have pretty significant
email infrastructure and usage.

-Tim

--
There are 10 types of people on Earth.  Those who understand binary, and those
who don't.