RE: Wildcard DNS entry

2004-09-09 09:09:27
Koen Martens wrote:
Option 2 is good also.  But how high do you climb?  All the way to
"."?

Maybe both!  Climb the tree, if nothing found assume "a/24 mx/24 ptr
-all".

Well, you'd need some stopper. A special record that says 'if you are
checking for a record because you didn't find one on one of the lower
domains, do not look any further, i or my ancestors do not publish
for lower domains'.

I believe this can easily be accomplished by publishing these records:
com. TXT "v=spf1 ?all"
co.uk. TXT "v=spf1 ?all"
watkins.com. TXT "v=spf1 ?all"

That is, if you backtrack all the way up to the stopper, that should be
construed as an error in finding the policy.  (Just as if it's not there.)

Or perhaps an explicit "a/24 mx/24 ptr -all" might be appropriate in some cases:
com. TXT "v=spf1 ?all"
co.uk. TXT "v=spf1 ?all"
watkins.com. TXT "v=spf1 a/24 mx/24 ptr -all"

It's up to the domain reseller to communicate "you must implement SPF or you're
stuck with our default record" to its customers.

Matthew(_dot_)van(_dot_)Eerde(_at_)hbinc(_dot_)com
805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com         Software Engineer
perl -e"map{y/a-z/l-za-k/;print}shift" "Jjhi pcdiwtg Ptga wprztg,"