RE: SPF abused by spammers

2004-09-09 13:43:23
Markus Stumpf wrote:
Justin Murdock posted this link on the qmail list:
  "CipherTrust [...] found that 34% more spam is passing SPF checks
  than legitimate e-mail."

I suggest everyone else do what I did. I clicked on the "Feedback" link up
at the top and filled out the form as follows.

YOUR COMMENT IS ABOUT: Factual Errors

YOUR COMMENT:
In your article "Spammers exploit anti-spam trap", you completely missed the
point of SPF. Instead of reporting the use of SPF as a positive, you
portrayed it as a negative.

We WANT spammers to use SPF, because then they are easy to identify. If 100%
of spammers used SPF, I could easily blacklist all e-mail coming from their
domains, and then I'd receive no spam.

Please make a better effort to consult technical experts before making a
report. Several others in the media got the story right (or came close), and
it is very disheartening to see that the BBC (which I rely on for unbiased
reporting) got it completely wrong.

Michael R. Brumm