Re: Re: Please Don't Reject SPF NEUTRAL

2004-09-20 09:30:15
Scott Kitterman wrote:

Why take the risk of getting my domain blacklisted.

It is particularly difficult, for small domains, to build up a good
reputation (mail volume way below threshold). I venture to say,
conversely, that getting blacklisted, for that same reason, is
equally hard (not on a local blacklist, per se; but yes, it should
certainly be the case for global reputation services). So, I would
not worry about that too much.

Cheers,

- Mark

Actually, I think the risk of getting blacklisted for a small domain
like mine that is actively being used (forged) to send spam is
rather greater than my opportunities for whitelisting.
I get more bounces due to forged spam than I send legitimate e-mail,
so it is safe to say that there is more spam than ham that purports
to be from my domain. Trying to avoid having people believe that
the spam is really from me (it's not) is why I'm here.

That is why you should continue to publish SPF records. Because those forgeries will not be counted as spam, on the receiving end, if they are rejected at their gate with an SPF "FAIL". I do not think any reputable reputation service will ever blacklist you, based on forgeries that clearly "FAIL"-ed your SPF records.

Cheers,

- Mark

       System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---