Re: Is SPF Authenication or Authorization?

2004-09-23 06:19:36
Mark wrote:

Dave Crocker wrote:

well, as long as the threat is limited to the few (1?, 10? 70?)
millions of users that share my ISP's MTA, I guess that's ok.

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm? :) Seriously, though, I look upon these things in terms of phases. We're in a transitional phase now, where ISP's are encouraged to start enforcing the use of SMTP AUTH. Once that process has completed, or largely so, AUTH info could be used to do forced address rewriting. We're not there yet, though. For now, SPF will already stop foreign parties from spoofing your domain name; that is not bad.

I agree. SPF was never designed to make ISPs internally responsible. It was designed to prevent people outside their realm from using their domain in the return path of messages. The Ecelerity MTA supports restricting the RFC2821.MailFrom (and even the RFC2822.From) based on SMTP AUTH information or client SSL certs. I think yu can jury-rig the same thing in Exim (and likely others). The technology is there, adoption is the challenge.

I would say that if it was painless, most ISPs would already be doing it. However, it is a customer service nightmare to implement such a policy with existing users. Forcing new users into this paradigm is much easier.

Once again making me glad I am not a large ISP -- building tools for this is much better ;-)

--
// Theo Schlossnagle
// Principal Engineer -- http://www.omniti.com/~jesus/