Re: Is SPF Authenication or Authorization?

2004-09-21 17:34:17
Meng Weng Wong wrote:

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 05:12:57PM -0600, Steve Meyers wrote:

That's more like SPF.  All you can tell is that the swipe was from a
certain company, you can't tell who.  The ISP's mail server is a
shared resource (much like our building-wide swipe card), so
individual user authentication to the recipients mail server is
impossible, unless the sender's ISP takes measures to eliminate
cross-account spoofing.

Exactly. That was my point all along. :) In fact, under SPF "classic" there is no guarantee that MAIL FROM is actually an existing address, even! Much less authenticated, at that.

I think the above scenario confuses authentication with
identification.

We're starting to split that hair mighty thin; but I would say: "identification" is establishing someone's identity, whereas "authentication" is verifying the authenticity of that identity. Here is where the two cross over, of course. Because it could be argued that cannot properly identify a user without also having established the authenticity of that identity. Still, in my world, an "authenticated" user is a confirmed identity. I guess that is why they call it SMTP AUTH, not SMTP IDENT. :)

- Mark

       System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---
"If you were supposed to understand it,