Re: No use of checking RFC2822 headers

2004-09-28 10:32:07
Then the phisher registers BANK0FAM3RICA.COM or something and
sends an SPF-passing, DomainKeys signed message that passes all checks and
the luser clicks on anyway.

Or, if these SUBMITTER/PRA/SRS-type proposals keep going forward, they send
MAIL-FROM: <trustme(_at_)bankofamerica(_dot_)com>, SUBMITTER
<phisher(_at_)BANK0FAM3RICA(_dot_)COM>. From: "Bank of America"
<trustme(_at_)bankofamerica(_dot_)com>, and not only does the luser click on
it, but
bankofamerica.com has to deal with the bounce scatter.

Nothing can protect users from a complete lack of security clue.

I would really like to see more of a focus on end-end MAIL-FROM validation
without re-writing, since that now seems possible.  Bounce scatter and
envelope forgery are things we can address.  Effectively preventing phishing
is not.  If we can get end-end MAIL-FROM validation, end-node MTA's can
enforce Sender: == MAIL-FROM: or even rewrite From: == MAIL-FROM if they
want to display something real to the end-user.