Re: No use of checking RFC2822 headers

2004-09-29 13:49:07
Ok, it seems to me that a RFC needs to state what a MUA MUST display. I
can see the value of the display part has when an email address looks
like this:

From: <3232234322(_at_)compuserve(_dot_)com>

Outlook's behavior of displaying just the display part is obviously bad,
but AOL just displaying the address seems flawed to me as well. Aunt
Tilly won't remember that's nephew Carl's email address when she's using
AOL. I'd say MUA must display the whole line:

Instead of a new RFC, how about this approach...

The MUA displays the email address always UNLESS the MUA has the sender in
their address book in which case the display name is used.

And one small caveat, at the time the person adds a sender to their address
book is the time the MUA includes the display name in the address book. This
can protect against someone using a common email address that many people
might have in their address book (like mailer-daemon or their own address)
and being able to specify a new display name later.

The bottom line is that a sender should NOT be able to specify what text is
shown in the MUA. This should be within the control of the receiving MUA.

-Carl

--
Carl Hutzler
Director, AntiSpam Operations