Re: No use of checking RFC2822 headers

2004-09-28 22:44:54
"Michel Py" <michel(_at_)arneill-py(_dot_)sacramento(_dot_)ca(_dot_)us> writes:

This is very good and we all thank you, but I'm afraid that the outlook
of the Outlook situation (pun intended) is bleak. The very reason
Outlook displays the pretty name is customer request, and delivering to
the customers what they want (no matter it's a good or bad idea) is what
made M$ successful.

Is that a feature which was requested in 'Outlook' or 'Outlook
Express'? The main problem I see with Outlook is that it was designed
for use in an internal corporate email system, maybe with connections
to other corporate systems. It fills that role quite well, but it is
not really suited to handling 'general' internet email.

I don't see a solution to it as of now, since millions would tell you
that it's a feature they want not a bug.

Maybe a compromise (for those using Outlook and Exchange server) would
be for it to show the 'pretty name' for 'internal' corporate emails
and by default to display the complete RFC2822 From: address for
internet emails, but with the option of the user associating a 'local'
pretty name alias in their address book and for this to be displayed
if it is set.