Re: No use of checking RFC2822 headers

2004-09-29 06:32:06
On 9/29/04 9:24 AM, "David Brodbeck" <gull(_at_)gull(_dot_)us> wrote:

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:49:43 -0700, Michel Py wrote
This is very good and we all thank you, but I'm afraid that the outlook
of the Outlook situation (pun intended) is bleak. The very reason
Outlook displays the pretty name is customer request, and delivering
to the customers what they want (no matter it's a good or bad idea)
 is what made M$ successful.

So you display both.  This is what most MTAs do.

And to be fair, Outlook does show both when you OPEN THE EMAIL and read it.
But in the list view, they only show the display name (like most clients). I
would be concerned that most readers would see
"service(_at_)citibank(_dot_)com" in the
list view (phishers would use that as their display name) and by the time
they open it "all concerned about their account" they might miss the
detailed view of the 822FROM address which Outlook does display at that
time.

-Carl

--
Carl Hutzler