Re: No use of checking RFC2822 headers

2004-09-29 07:44:20
Hector Santos wrote:
I can't believe what I am reading in this thread:

MUAs, end user software and/or mail readers/writers will display what the
Gateway, POP3 servers and/or mail hosting software decides on what is to be
displayed and what are to be the network control information :-)

I get a copy of this message via Outlook and I see the FROM: with my
winserver.support email account.  Outlook will show the user id "hector
santos" part of the complete email address:

        "hector santos" winserver(_dot_)support(_at_)winserver(_dot_)com

I read the same message online at http://www.winserver.com and I will see
"From: Winserver Support"  because "winserver support" is an actual user
account and the translation concept applies (dot to space, etc).

Anyway, the end-user software is 100% dependent on what the hosting server
supplies.  The transformation is done on the most common practice and user
expectations.

In short, you guys are beating a dead horse with this subject of trying to
"define" what a MUA will display.  It is the HOST that you got to get
straight first.

So you're writing about the same email viewed with two different MUAs (Outlook and a webmail service) and then go on to say that it's the host that defines what things will look like. I fail to see how your evidence supports your argument.

Paul.