Re: No use of checking RFC2822 headers

2004-09-29 08:57:18

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan Malayter" <rmalayter(_at_)bai(_dot_)org>
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 11:40 AM
Subject: RE: [spf-discuss] No use of checking RFC2822 headers

[Carl Hutzler]

And to be fair, Outlook does show both when you OPEN THE
EMAIL and read it. But in the list view, they only show
the display name (like most clients).

Your list message showed up in Outlook 2003SP1 as:

 From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com on behalf
 of Carl Hutzler [cdhutzler(_at_)aol(_dot_)com]

Now, that makes a lot of sense to me as an IT guy, since that's
exactly the semantics a mailing list message. It's a straightforward
presentation of the message's From and Sender headers. Bravo
Microsoft.

But it's just too long and detailed for the normal email user to
digest, or even care about.

Right, but if you think about it, IMO, i don't think the above presentation
is correct.  This owner-spf-discuss is really the "post man," the entity
that delivered the mail.   By doing it as so, the implication to the layman
is that is also the reply address, which it is not.

Mailing List technlogy is well known.  The modern RFC 822 Mail Reader can
display it where it makes sense:

    Mail Man/Sender: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[optional
display]
    Mailing List/Reply Address: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
    From: Carl Hutzler [cdhutzler(_at_)aol(_dot_)com]

or something like that.

The owner-spf-discuss address is completely useless as you can't reply to it
other than for possible unsubscibing.

Talking with one of the traders (call him Joe), I was surprised that
he wasn't at all concerned about his machine being infested with
spyware or zombie trojans. I asked him to sit with me for a while to
talk about what not to do, just a quick tutorial. He refused.

I think it is a generation thing <g>

BTW: I did some server development work on Trade Station, long time ago.

Sincerely,

Hector Santos, CTO
Santronics Software, Inc.
http://www.santronics.com