RE: [SPFTAG] - [SPFTAG] - RE: No use of checking RFC2822 headers - Sender is probably forged (SPF Softfail) - Sender is probably forged (SPF Softfail)

2004-09-29 07:26:12

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of Roger
Moser
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 4:12 PM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: [SPFTAG] - [SPFTAG] - RE: [spf-discuss] No use of
checking RFC2822 headers - Sender is probably forged (SPF
Softfail) - Sender is probably forged (SPF Softfail)

Stefan Engelbert wrote:

I think this whole discussion is for nothing.
Considering that rarely people put their address as pretty name you
can allready prefilter emails as spam which have a valid
email address
as pretty name.
Maybe you can even consider to mark everything as SPAM
which has an @
in the pretty name.
Or you compare pretty name with addresss when pretty name
is a valid
email address.

It think this pretty name discussion should be placed
somewhere in a
SPAM Filter forum and not in a SenderID Forum.

I agree with you, but the fact is that Outlook Express
displays only the pretty name as if it is the mailbox address
and does not display the mailbox address (unless an
experienced user does some clicks). Therefore SPF Classic
should not look at anything in the RFC 2822 header. This is
the task of spam filters. Maybe a later SPF version can do
that -- after Microsoft has fixed their mail reader programs.

Roger

Thats exactly what I said ;-) SPF and/or SenderID cannot
verify any Display Names. So how people are treating
Display names should be their choice. I am sure
that M$ will change that behavior if their customers request it ;-)

This mail was checked for malicious code and viruses
checking, exploit detection, threats analysis and anti-virus for
Exchange & SMTP servers. Viruses, Trojans, dangerous
attachments and offensive content are removed automatically.
Key features include: multiple virus engines; email content and
attachment checking; an exploit shield; an HTML threats engine;
a Trojan & Executable Scanner; and more.

In addition to GFI MailSecurity, GFI also produces the
GFI MailEssentials anti-spam software, the GFI FAXmaker
fax server & GFI LANguard network security product ranges.
For more information on our products, please visit
http://www.gfi.com. This disclaimer was sent by
GFI MailEssentials for Exchange/SMTP.