RE: Re: draft-ietf-marid-protocol-03 - scope questions and comments

2004-09-30 00:42:29
Ok,
I get your point but I am worried that will fill up the
record with to much overhead. In my opinion its better
to define that v=SPFx have to be able to handle v=SPFx-1 records
Stefan

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of
william(at)elan.net
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2004 9:49 AM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Re: draft-ietf-marid-protocol-03 -
scope questions and comments

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Roger Moser wrote:

I suggest following syntax for the case if the SPF record
is the same
for multiple SPF versions:

 TXT "v=spf1 v=spf2 v=spf3 ip4:1.2.3.4 -all"

Actually this is quite good idea and if we want to integrate
what is currently in marid-protocol, it could be something like:

 "v=spf1 v=SPF2.0/MFROM ip4:1.2.3.4 -all"

SPF version 1 ignores the additional "v=" entries as
unknown modifiers.

Lets also make sure then in SPF2 syntax that "v" stays
reserved modifier that is SUPPOSED to be ignored.

It does also mean that in future spf protocol the way to
recognize SPF records would have to change, istead of looking
for "v=spf1" or "v=spf2"
it would have to look for beginning of "v=spf" and then look
for if the string contains "v=spf2" (for version2) and start
processing from there.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks

-------
Sender Policy Framework: http://spf.pobox.com/ Archives at
http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss/current/
http://www.InboxEvent.com/?s=d --- Inbox Event Nov 17-19 in
Atlanta features SPF and Sender ID.
To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily
deactivate your subscription, please go to

This mail was checked for malicious code and viruses
checking, exploit detection, threats analysis and anti-virus for
Exchange & SMTP servers. Viruses, Trojans, dangerous
attachments and offensive content are removed automatically.
Key features include: multiple virus engines; email content and
attachment checking; an exploit shield; an HTML threats engine;
a Trojan & Executable Scanner; and more.

In addition to GFI MailSecurity, GFI also produces the
GFI MailEssentials anti-spam software, the GFI FAXmaker
fax server & GFI LANguard network security product ranges.
For more information on our products, please visit
http://www.gfi.com. This disclaimer was sent by
GFI MailEssentials for Exchange/SMTP.