Changing Standards - Flashback

2004-10-06 19:50:57
Back in 1992/93, I went to the Microsoft Software Developer Conference at
Seattle.  I arrived at the hotel around 5-6pm. I went to my room, exhausted
from long Miami to Seattle trip,  I turned on the TV and laid down.  I got
excited when a local Seattle news station came on with an interview with
Bill Gates about the upcoming/next day MS Software Developer Conference.

I recall a statement that stayed with me till this day when he was asked how
he deals with competitors and how does MS stay on top as the market leader.
His answer was, honest to god,  no lie, this is what he said:

        "We stay ahead of our competitors by changing the standards every
two years."

This is not bashing. It is just a scary thought about MS that has always
stayed with me.  Its on tape in the local tv news station achives if proof
is required.

How this related to SPF?  Well,  I hate to be in a position where SPF will
be changing every year or every 2 years!  Who will own the specs and
standard definition?  Meng?  Under what entity?  Or will it be Microsoft
when SPF2 begins to promote SenderID?

Sincerely,

Hector Santos, CTO
Santronics Software, Inc.