Re: Changing Standards - Flashback

2004-10-07 06:19:18
Commerco WebMaster wrote:

Hector,

I recall a statement that stayed with me till this day when he was
asked how he deals with competitors and how does MS stay on top as
the market leader. His answer was, honest to god,  no lie, this is
what he said:

        "We stay ahead of our competitors by changing the standards
every two years."

Might it be argued that Mr. Gates' purported statement above was not
referring to standards in the sense we discuss here on this list, but
more as a marketing statement? In other words, to a marketer, raise the
bar, up the ante, change the standards might all mean roughly the same
thing.

You're being very magnanimous. :) I think the OP is right, though. Not
"embrace and extend", but "embrace and change enough not to be compatible
with the original any more" is the theme. Like they tried to pull with Java.
But are our pockets as deep as those of Sun?

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---
"If you were supposed to understand it,