Re: [SPF v1 Draft] Last chance before I submit...

2004-10-15 08:08:09

On Oct 15, 2004, at 1:13 AM, Mark wrote:
What are "reason codes"?
Please see the draft, section 4.2.

On Oct 15, 2004, at 7:20 AM, David Brodbeck wrote:
That's a good policy, but I don't think SPF should force it. It's a separate issue.
Let's be clear. The draft does not force one to reject in this case. And the draft does allow an implementation to distinguish this case from all others and treat it anyway one wants.

For technical reasons, it is better to have check_host() return a result for any possible input, even input from cases that we might agree can't be checked by SPF. Now, in retrospect, perhaps yet another new return code "InputError" would have been better. But, there is nothing stopping an implementation from treating "Fail" with reason "Domain Does Not Exist" as "InputError".

        - Mark