Re: [SPF v1 Draft] Last chance before I submit...

2004-10-14 19:12:58
On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 21:54, Mark wrote:
This is the text:

    If the domain does not exist (RCODE 3), check_host() exits
    immediately with the result "Fail" and a reason of
    "Domain Does Not Exist"
[...]
It is perfectly legit to use a domain name for which only an MX record
exists, for instance. An immediate result "Fail" because of "Domain Does Not
Exist" appears in error.

But a domain name for which only an MX record exists will not get an
RCODE 3 response in the first place, since there do exist some records
for that domain.

Since the whole point of SPF is to verify the bounce-ability of Return
Paths, and since by definition a Return Path pointing to a domain that
does not exist in any way cannot *ever* accept a bounce, I don't see the
objection to check_host() returning a "Fail" in that case.

--
Mark Shewmaker
mark(_at_)primefactor(_dot_)com