RE: [SPF v1 Draft] Last chance before I submit...

2004-10-14 19:09:03
I agree, I don't want email form someone that is not there!  This would be a
forged email!  That is what SPF tries to stop!!!

Guy

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of Stuart
D. Gathman
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2004 10:04 PM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] [SPF v1 Draft] Last chance before I submit...

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Mark wrote:

    If the domain does not exist (RCODE 3), check_host() exits
    immediately with the result "Fail" and a reason of
    "Domain Does Not Exist"

That looks like a violation of RFC 2821 (Section 3.6 Domain), which states
that domain names should be used that can be resolved to either MX RRs or
RRs. And refers to section 5 ("Address Resolution and Mail Handling"):

When I read "Domain Does Not Exist", I understood "Domain has no
MX or A records or even an SPF record".  Why would "Domain does not
exist" mean only that there are no A records?  However, it looks like
"Domain does not exist" needs to be specifically defined since we didn't
receive the same meaning.

BTW, as a matter of local policy, if there are no A or MX records, there is
no
way to send a bounce - which is a good reason to reject the mail as far as
I'm
concerned.

http://www.InboxEvent.com/?s=d --- Inbox Event Nov 17-19 in Atlanta features
SPF and Sender ID.