Re: [SPF v1 Draft] Last chance before I submit...

2004-10-14 18:54:37
wayne wrote:

Upon further review, I just discovered that this SPF spec says that
you are supposed to return "fail" if the domain does not exist
(RCODE 3/NXDOMAIN).  See section 4.4.

This is the text:

    If the domain does not exist (RCODE 3), check_host() exits
    immediately with the result "Fail" and a reason of
    "Domain Does Not Exist"

That looks like a violation of RFC 2821 (Section 3.6 Domain), which states
that domain names should be used that can be resolved to either MX RRs or A
RRs. And refers to section 5 ("Address Resolution and Mail Handling"):

    Once an SMTP client lexically identifies a domain to which mail will
    be delivered for processing (as described in sections 3.6 and 3.7), a
    DNS lookup MUST be performed to resolve the domain name [22]. The
    names are expected to be fully-qualified domain names (FQDNs):
    ... The lookup first attempts to locate an MX
    record associated with the name. If a CNAME record is found instead,
    the resulting name is processed as if it were the initial name. If
    no MX records are found, but an A RR is found, the A RR is treated as
    if it was associated with an implicit MX RR, with a preference of 0,

It is perfectly legit to use a domain name for which only an MX record
exists, for instance. An immediate result "Fail" because of "Domain Does Not
Exist" appears in error.

WTF!?!?!?!!!

*NEVER* should we return an SPF "fail" unless so directed by the
domain owner.  If i-hate-spf.com doesn't publish an SPF record and
wants to use a non existent domain foo.i-hate-spf.com, we should
*NOT*, *EVER*, *UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES*, generate anything other
than the SPF result of "none".

Agreed. Since a domain which not exists can never have an SPF record
associated with, the only logical result can ever be "None".

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---
"If you were supposed to understand it,