draft-schlitt-spf-00pre1 now available (Was: [SPF v1 Draft] Last chance before I submit...)

2004-10-14 23:29:16
In <x4wtxv1795(_dot_)fsf(_at_)footbone(_dot_)midwestcs(_dot_)com> wayne
<wayne(_at_)midwestcs(_dot_)com> writes:

In <53BC05C0-1C1C-11D9-B42A-000393A56BB6(_at_)glyphic(_dot_)com> Mark
Lentczner <markl(_at_)glyphic(_dot_)com> writes:

Unless I hear gnashing of teeth, I will prepare it for submission to
the IETF as an internet-draft on Wednesday, and then begin the process
of moving it to experimental RFC status.

I confess that, due to Meng and MS, I have lost most of my motivation
to participate in the SPF project and have not really reviewed these
drafts.  The following are all suggestions that I have sent of to Mark
and/or Meng before and have been rejected, so I don't see any reason
that they would be included now.

Yesterday night, I decided that instead of giving up on the SPF
project and watching an SPF spec go through that I would, under no
circumstances, conform to, that I would simply create a spec that
documents what libspf2 does.  This will be used as documentation for
my SPF implementation so that people understand what are bugs and what
are features. ;-)

This "SPF" spec that I have written may be of use to other people, so
I'm publishing a rough draft today.  This is *not* finished, I still
need to go over it with a fine toothed comb and check for things like
spelling errors in the stuff that I have added. I am releasing them
now under the "release early, release often" F/OSS philosophy.  Expect
another release Friday.

The "SPF" spec I've created is based on reverse-engineering the XML
source to the draft-lentczner-spf-00.txt file and an old copy of the
marid-protocol XML source that Meng sent me a while ago.  As such,
there may well be errors and omissions in my XML source compared with
Mark's source.

Copies of my drafts can be found at:

http://www.midwestcs.com/spf/draft-schlitt-spf.00pre1.html
http://www.midwestcs.com/spf/draft-schlitt-spf.00pre1.txt
http://www.midwestcs.com/spf/draft-schlitt-spf.00pre1.xml

My reverse-engineered source to draft-lentczner-spf.00.xml can be
found at:
http://www.midwestcs.com/spf/draft-lentczner-spf.00.xml

I am very interested in any comments *ESPECIALLY* from actual SPF
developers.  In particular, I would really like to know which things
in my "SPF" spec differ from the implementations you have created.  I
will also listen to people who haven't actually done any SPF
development, but don't expect as much weight to be given.

I am interested in *real world*, *practical* stuff that can be
*deployed*.

For the most part, the difference between draft-lentczner-spf-00 and
draft-schlitt-spf-00pre1 fall into three areas:

* Stuff that was in the last SPF-classic draft before it was mangled
  into SenderID. (spf-draft-200406.txt)

* Stuff that I submitted to Meng for inclusion into
  spf-draft-200405.txt, but was rejected.

* misc cleanup of draft-lentczner-spf-00.

Things restored from spf-draft-200406.txt:

* restored HELO checking option

* restored NXDOMAIN result to "Unknown"

* restored zone cut

* Received-SPF header restored

Things rejected by Meng for spf-draft-200405.txt

* added verbage to SoftFail definition

* SPF records that are too long MAY be ignored

* all syntax errors MUST be detected

* Unknown mechanism are syntax errors

* process limits placed so that SPF clients can not be used for DDoS attacks

* clearer specifications for what should happen when DNS errors occur

* unknown macro variables are syntax errors

-wayne