Re: Re: [SPF v1 Draft] Last chance before I submit...

2004-10-13 10:18:16
On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 06:35:19PM +0200, Frank Ellermann wrote:
| > Have you read what Meng and Mark have written about unknown
| > mechanism on this list?
|
| Probably, if it was in May or later.  Meng has numerous ideas,
| and he's less concerned with syntactical details.  One of his
| ideas was to allow a:1.2.3.4, and if you'd ask him about your
| "prt" and "ipv4" problems I could guess his answer.  It would
| be different from my or your answer... ;-)

If the above text refers to my message of

http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com/200409/0192.html

I will point out that I was asking what people thought, not
advocating any particular choice.

It is easy to flip the bozo bit on somebody, but you know
what they say about making assumptions.

For the record I think a:1.2.3.4 is a terrible idea, I think
support for "prt" is a terrible idea, and "ipv4" should be
considered an unknown mechanism or a syntax error, depending
on the severity of your syntax checking.

Part of making decisions is thinking through the
consequences before making those decisions.  It would be a
mistake to think that verbose traversal of a decision tree
equates to personal support for any section of that decision
hierarchy.  In other words, looking doesn't mean I'll leap.

And just because someone may not agree 100% with the advice
they get from you person doesn't mean that they're wrong
about everything else.  It is natural for feelings to be
hurt when advice is not taken, but to respond with "what an
idiot" is perhaps a bit of an overreaction.  Most successful
people seem to be able to conquer their emotions in that
area.  I would encourage people to explore the benefits of
restraint, professionalism, and courtesy.