RE: Re: [SPF v1 Draft] Last chance before I submit...

2004-10-12 21:51:06
Mark,

|John -
|
|I think I now understand the problem.  There was some
|left-over language from the Sender ID protocol document
|that I think was causing all the problems.  Of course, you
|may violate excepted usage or Here is the currently revised
|opener of Section 4:
|
|4.  The check_host() Function
|
|    The check_host() function fetches SPF records, parses
|them, and interprets them to evaluate if a particular host
|is or is not permitted to send mail with a given "Mail
|From" identity.  Mail receivers that perform this check
|MUST correctly evaluate the check_host() function as
|described here.
|
|    Implementations MAY use a different algorithm than the
|canonical algorithm defined here, so long as the results
|are the same.
|
|Now the first paragraph makes it clear what the purpose of
|the check_host() function is, and that mail receivers must
|do it correctly.   The second paragraph is no only
|concerned with the standard disclaimer that allows one to
|code the function as one sees fit, without following the
|steps exactly as laid down.
|
|Hope this works for you...
|
|       - Mark

I appreciate your taking the time to explain the disclaimer's
objective. I don't want to over write the sentence.:-)

Given this intent, if we could amend the disclaimer just a bit
more to read as follows:

|Implementations MAY use a different algorithm than the
|canonical algorithm defined here, so long as the
|authorization results are the same.

Trusting this minor change is ok. I believe this makes it
clear the implementer may code the function any way she
wants, as long as the result, being to "authenticate the
mail from identity" is the same.

This clears up any language conflict in my mind. Thanks,

John

John Glube
Toronto, Canada

The FTC Calls For Sender Authentication