Re: [SPF v1 Draft] Last chance before I submit...

2004-10-12 09:20:00
william(at)elan.net wrote:

Nothing major, but I do have some comments of what maybe improved...

4.6.3  Modifiers

-  Modifiers MAY appear anywhere in the record, but SHOULD appear at
the end, after all mechanisms.  Ordering of modifiers does not matter.

Ordering sometimes does matter, especially with redirect modifier.
Consider the following two lines:

v=spf1 mx -all redirect=r2._spf.example.com
v=spf1 redirect=r2._spf.example.com mx -all

Are they really the same to the spf interpreter?

Ordering sometimes matters, yes. But NOT the order of the modifiers. Section
5.1 says the following:

---------------
The "all" mechanism is a test that always matches. It is used as the
rightmost mechanism in a record to provide an explicit default.

   For example:
      v=spf1 +mx +a -all

Mechanisms after "all" will never be tested.  Any "redirect" modifier
(Section 6.1) has no effect when there is an "all" directive.

---------------

In your first example, everything after "-all" is to be ignored anyway, so
the order of any tailing modifiers is moot. In your second example, it is
not the order of the modifiers that matters, but the place of the modifier
in the overall order (as "-all" is not a modifier, but a mechanism).

Besides, since any "redirect" modifier has no effect when there is an "all"
directive, all redirect directives in your above two examples have no effect
to begin with.

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---