Re: [SPF v1 Draft] Last chance before I submit...

2004-10-12 22:52:00
Roy Badami wrote:

I think I have bigger reservations about modifying the spec
at this stage to render a widely deployed SPF checker
non-compliant.

"Non-compliant" is IMHO much too hard, the HELO check for a
non-empty MAIL FROM was optional, the updated draft simply
doesn't mention it.  It was an editorial problem with the
h macro (now "deprecated") and the check_host() arguments.

If the community really wishes to make this change

"We" (tinw ;-) wish a more general solution in SPF2 (not
necessarily in the form of a new HELO or SUBMIT scope) for
forwarders.  The upated draft is meant as a solid base for
future SPF1 implementations and future development of SPF2.

For SPF2 I hope "we" find a mixture of ideas proposed by
Meng, William, and Hector along the line of "do something
with HELO resp. SUBMITTER and a local white list".

For SPF1 it's better to skip these issues, because the new
solutions will be more elaborated than the old optional
HELO stuff, maybe even incompatible.

                       Bye, Frank