Re: Re: [SPF v1 Draft] Last chance before I submit...

2004-10-13 08:10:28
Hello!

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 08:03:34AM -0700, Mark Lentczner wrote:

On Oct 13, 2004, at 6:36 AM, Theo Schlossnagle wrote:
A way to avoid the problem is to send email to people's final
destination email address, ... and to not send mails to mailing lists.

This is a common misconception.  The vast majority of public mailing
lists are served by software that sets MAIL FROM to an automated
mailbox at the list host itself.  Please see section 9 (and 9.2 in
particular) of the SPF v1 draft:
      http://www.ozonehouse.com/mark/spf/draft-lentczner-spf-00.html#anchor29

      - Mark

Of course, mailing lists should set a completely own envelope sender,
as the original sender shouldn't receive bounces because of disappeared
mailing list members.

The problem I referred to was rather people like our customers defining
their mail addresses like foo(_at_)cool-domain(_dot_)some-tld(_dot_)invalid,
having them
forwarded to either another mail address hosted by us, or to another
provider. In the latter case, that could lead to problems now, if that
other provider heeds SPF, as long as we don't rewrite the envelope
sender. And it's still too early to expect that all mail providers that
provide forwarding functionality like this (or forwarding out of per
user filter specs, like SIEVE or so) have already implemented something
like SRS *right now*.

And the local part length problems of SRS are still unresolved.

Kind regards,

Hannah.