[SPF v1 Draft] Last chance before I submit...

2004-10-12 05:22:56

Apologies for the late nature of this.

I'm somewhat concerned that the optional HELO checking is being
removed from the spec (it was in draft-mengwong-spg-01)

As far as I can see SpamAssassin 3.0 implements this part of the
existing spec, and I suspect is likely to become one of the most
widely deployed SPF checkers, at least in the short term.

I do have reservations about the HELO check (but then I have
reservations about the more limited HELO check for the <> address,
too).  But I think I have bigger reservations about modifying the spec
at this stage to render a widely deployed SPF checker non-compliant.

It also means that people publishing SPF records will be unaware that
they will be used in this way by a widely deployed checker.

If the community really wishes to make this change, then can I suggest
that at a minimum this practice be documented in an informative annex?

            -roy