Re: It's published!

2004-10-18 07:39:30
wayne wrote:

"Count directives without ip4 or ip6" is a very simple
recipe.

Yes, and that is basically what I propose.

Okay, I confused your "5 MX" with 5 MXs, but actually you
meant "5 mx directives", is that correct ?

If yes, then my single counter a+mx+ptr+include+redirect=
is simpler, because it's only one magical number for ALL
processing limits, and the sender policy author has more
flexibility to distribute it on directives as he sees fit.

You have 4 magical numbers: x MX, y PTR, 10 check_host(),
20 seconds.  I've only one magical number:  z directives.

In all of the SPF drafts, a timeout causes a TempError

Yes, sorry.  And that's good enough together with a hard
limit of z directives.

the spec not allowing *any* timeout could cause very
real DoS problems.

What's the normal timeout for a DNS query ?  I don't want
too many implementation details in the spec.  Do you know
the term "over-specification" ?  It's the evil brother of
KISS, it leads to a spec. which is so long that _nobody_
ever reads it, and people understanding at most 10% of it
then write FAQs / howto-s / cook books.  <shudder>

Or they ignore anything but some of the examples.  We're
already at 90 KB now.

It really doesn't make much sense to have a PTR RR for
an IP address that points to a name that, when looked up,
won't return an A RR with that IP address.  When would
this ever happen?

It's in one of the PTR examples in the SPF spec. <gd&r>
Okay, I was just curious.

you need to talk to Meng and Mark about that then.

No, I won't bother Meng with v=spf1, unless he has funny
ideas to (ab)use it for PRA.  Meng is spf2.0 and beyond,
and at the moment the v=spf1 "shepherd" is Mark.

Mark and Meng didn't listen.  Or, at least, they didn't
listen to me. Maybe they will listen to you.

IMHO Meng left the v=spf1 scene months ago.  He's now
waiting for us to finish our "minor quibbles" and then
to discuss spf2.0.  But first I want a rock solid RfC.

                    Bye, Frank