Requested changes (was: When did we lose control?)

2004-10-18 06:48:30
jpinkerton wrote:

Maybe someone could maintain a list of requested changes

Good idea - when do you start ;-)
[...]
I think voting is a bit formal,

It's IMNSHO a very bad idea for technical problems.  But I'm
certainly interested what Mark plans for his next SPF draft.

Incomplete list of requested changes:

1 - error handling
  - only one FAIL result (= "not permitted")
  - no "malformed domain" for address literals etc.
    aka "SPF = sender policy, not receiver policy" [Roger]

2 - "validating evaluation"
  - unknown mechanism => syntax error
  - unknown macrochar => syntax error
    aka "macro enumeration"
  - fix typos and macro-with-sp problem

3 - "security considerations"
  - at most 5 MX + 5 PTR + 10 check_host() [Wayne]
  - at most 10 directives (excl. ip4/ip6)  [me]
  - at most 100 DNS queries                [3rd idea]
    method and exact limit(s) TBD
  - maybe remove overall timeout of 20 sec., if a new
    processing limit and DNS timeouts are good enough
  - UDP aka "512 bytes limit" for DNS replies

4 - "zone cut"
  - a sender policy automatically covers the subdomains
    without sender policy in the same zone
  - copy Randy Bush's "zone cut" algorithm from RfC 2181
  - what was the reserved "match_subdomains" supposed to do ?

5 - HELO world
  - related stuff (aka "check_host() configuration")
    like default-explanation, init. %{r}, init. %{h}

I'm almost sure that I forgot some issues. bye, Frank