Re: Re: When did we lose control?

2004-10-17 16:31:54
In <4172EE69(_dot_)39F8(_at_)xyzzy(_dot_)claranet(_dot_)de> Frank Ellermann
<nobody(_at_)xyzzy(_dot_)claranet(_dot_)de> writes:

jpinkerton wrote:

Heh - that's only your opinion

It's also my opinion.  Mark proposed good protocol-0x drafts in
MARID, and the last drafts were IMHO very near to a consensus
(protocol-03 + mailfrom-00).

I call bullshit.

The mailfrom proposal *never* had any serious technical review.  There
was *never* near consensus on marid-protocol + marid-mailfrom.

I, for one, never went over the marid-protocol and marid-pra drafts
with a fine toothed comb because there were too many well know major
problems with them that made them unacceptable.

After MARID was killed the old SPF draft expired, and somebody
had to salvage the MARID results (as they were at this moment).

"salvage the MARID results"??  Oh geez, I hope not.  We are talking
about SPF-classic here, not SenderID-warmed-over.  Or, at least, I
hope we are, but maybe that's the problem.  To many MARID groupies
have invaded SPF-discuss.

To this day, the spf.pobox.com website says that the SPF-classic spec
is spf-draft-200406.

That's what draft-lentczner-spf-00 essentially does, with the
new SPF DNS resource record, and the improved syntax.  Wayne
somehow missed this part of the discussion,

Excuse me?

In
http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com/200409/0984.html
I recommended to MarkL to start with spf-draft-200406.  (Actually the
IETF submitted I-D version of it.)  This was in response to William's
identical recommandation in:
http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com/200409/0983.html

I don't see how I missed anything.  MarkL asked what direction we
should go, I said "go left" and MarkL said "Ok, we're going right!".

                                            and Mark somehow
forgot some of Wayne's old proposals (posted here before MARID
started),

Unless MarkL has a very short memory, he didn't forget my many
reminders and discussions about how stuff in spf-draft-200406 should
be used.  Much more likely is that, because MarkL wasn't active in the
SPF community during last winter, he never saw the later SPF-classic
drafts, and never read them.

Even if you hate the "political" part of it (like me), the
cut-off date for all new 00 drafts before IETF 61 is today.

Actually, it is tomorrow morning at 09:00 ET, but thanks for pointing
that out.  I hadn't even considered it.

Waiting for a draft-lyon-katz-spf-00 was really no option.

Fortunately, I don't see that draft.  :-)

-wayne