Re: Re: When did we lose control?

2004-10-17 16:47:57
In <20041017192341(_dot_)GB27432(_at_)nic(_dot_)fr> Stephane Bortzmeyer
<bortzmeyer(_at_)nic(_dot_)fr> writes:

So, Mark Lentczner has no authority and does not say he has. He was
just the first to step in, in a week where many people said "We ought
to do something" without actually doing it.

Ok, this is somewhat my fault.  I was under the impression that I
could not submit an SPF draft because, as JohnP points out, in the
closing statement from the MARID co-chairs, they asked the MARID
authors to submit individual drafts.  I was under the impression that
I could not submitted a draft.  I was corrected by several people.

Read the history again: Mark Lentczner was not ambushing waiting for
the closure of MARID. He published his draft much later. In the mean
time, anybody could have do it.

While you may be right with the letter-of-the-rules, I believe that if
anyone other than Meng or Mark submitted an SPF draft without Meng or
Mark saying that they should, it would have taken everyone by
surprise, create a lot of resentment and would likely be rejected by
the IESG if Meng and/or MarkL didn't like it.  SPF drafts existed long
before MARID was formed, and Meng and Mark have always been the
co-authors.

Now, in my case, I have even more reason to assume that the IETF would
not want me being an author of the SPF draft.

During MARIDs life, there was a "design meeting" to try and pull
together some SenderID drafts since Jim Lyon had sat on the first
marid-protocol draft, had created something was very incomplete, very
incompatible, and very buggy.  Meng, however, had a time conflict, so
Meng, Mark, GregC and I (and maybe some others) talked about sending
me to the meeting instead of Meng (Greg also had a time conflict).  I
was within a few hours of buying non-refundable airline tickets when
word got back that the co-chairs did *not* want me involved.

So, here I am.  I have created a document that outlines what libspf2
does and what I believe is much closer to being SPF-classic than
draft-lentczner-spf-00.   I don't want to get into a dualing standards
battle with Meng and Mark.

<helicopter color="black"> This is probably what Microsoft wanted
after MARID refused to fully endorse PRA: "better no standard than a
standard we do not control".

spf-draft-200406 has been a de-facto standard for SPF-classic for many
months now.  That may change with the advancement of
draft-lentczner-spf-00, but not until a lot of SPF implementations get
updated and deployed.

-wayne